Australian Women's Weekly Dolly Varden Cake
This iconic children's birthday cake was inspired by the character, Dolly, in one of Charles Dickens' novels. A special baking pan, in the shape of her dress has been created just for this cake and you'll need one of them for this recipe.
- 470 g packet butter cake mix
- 125 g butter
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 200 g pink and white
- 1 barbie doll, legs removed
- 1 metre-long pink ribbon
- 1 artificial flower
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease dolly varden pan well.
- Make cake according to directions on packet; pour mixture into pan. Bake about 1 hour. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Make butter cream: Place butter in a small bowl of electric mixer; beat until butter is as white as possible, gradually add about half the icing sugar, beating constantly. Add milk gradually, then gradually beat in the remaining icing sugar; mixture should be smooth and easy to spread with spatula.
- Spread butter cream all over cake. Gently push doll down into cake to waist level.
- Halve marshmallows; press marshmallows, cut-side down, alternating pink and white, all over 'skirt', starting from the bottom. Wind ribbon around doll's body to represent bodice, tie at the back in a large bow. Position flower at waist.