Nothing beats hot, freshly baked scones served with jam and whipped cream.
- 2 1/2 cups (375g) self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 30 g butter, cold
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk, cold
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water, approximately
- 2 tsp milk, extra
- Preheat oven to 240°C (220°C fan-forced). Grease 23cm-square cake pan.
- Sift flour, sugar and salt into large bowl; rub in butter. Stir in milk and enough water to mix to a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn dough onto floured surface; knead quickly and lightly until just smooth. Use hand to press dough out evenly to 2cm thickness; using cutter, cut 5cm rounds from dough.
- Place rounds in pan; brush with extra milk. Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes. Turn onto wire rack to cool.