The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all time
Big call but we're willing to make it.
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- 125 g (4 ounces) butter, chopped
- 2 tbsp golden syrup or treacle
- 1 1/2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. Grease oven trays; line with baking paper.
- Combine oats, sifted flour, sugar and coconut in a large bowl. Place butter, syrup (spray the measuring spoon with cooking-oil so all the syrup comes away) and the water in a small saucepan; stir over low heat until smooth. Stir in soda, then stir into dry ingredients.
- Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls; place 5cm (2-inches) apart on trays, flatten slightly. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden; cool on trays.