Choko pickle, onion recipe, brought to you by Australian Women's Weekly
- 1 kg (2 pounds) chokoes, peeled, cored, chopped finely
- 2 large brown onions (400g), chopped finely
- 1/4 cup (70g) coarse cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 cups (440g) white (granulated) sugar
- 2 cups (500ml) white vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar, extra
- Combine choko, onion and salt in large non-metallic bowl; stand 2 hours. Rinse and drain well.
- Combine vegetables with curry powder, mustard powder, sugar and vinegar in large saucepan; stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes or until pickle is thick.
- Blend cornflour with extra vinegar in small bowl until smooth; stir into pickle. Simmer, stirring, about 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens.
- Spoon hot pickle into hot sterilised jars; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.