A delicious breakfast can be prepared in a flash with this coconut bread. Just pop it under the grill for a couple of minutes until it begins to brown lightly and, if you like, spread it with a little butter.
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 2/3 cup (50g) desiccated coconut
- 75 g butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease 14cm x 21cm loaf pan; line base with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above long sides of pan.
- Sift flours into medium bowl; stir in sugar and coconut.
- Add butter, egg, extract and buttermilk to flour mixture, stir until combined; pour into pan.
- Bake about 1 hour. Stand loaf in pan 10 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.