Add a little extra flavour to your poached eggs and ham with creamy and tangy homemade hollandaise sauce.
- 150 g butter, chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 eggs
- 8 slices ciabatta bread
- 160 g shaved leg ham
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- For the microwave hollandaise, melt the butter in a microwave-safe jug on high (100%) for 1 minute.
- Whisk the egg yolks, water and juice in a small microwave safe bowl. Cook, uncovered, on medium (50%), whisking every 15 seconds, for 1 minute or until thickened slightly. Don't allow the egg yolk mixture to boil.
- Add the hot melted butter, a few drops at a time, to the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly, until the mixture starts to thicken. Continue to add the butter, in a thin stream, whisking constantly, until all the butter is used. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover the surface of the sauce with plastic wrap and set aside to keep warm.
- To poach the eggs, half-fill a deep frying pan with water, add the vinegar and salt. Bring water to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Break an egg into a cup, ensuring the yolk is intact. Stir the water with a fork to create a whirlpool. Carefully pour the egg into the centre of the pan and cook for approximately 3 minutes.
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and place on a plate. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- To serve, toast the bread. Reheat the eggs by gently sliding them into a large bowl of boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain briefly on paper towel. Top the toasted bread with the ham, poached eggs, hollandaise sauce and chives.