Somewhere in-between a brownie and a tart is the humble hedgehog slice. We know not how it earned its name, but thanks to the good folk at recipes+, we can guarantee its deliciousness.
- 150 g coconut biscuits, crushed
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 200 g dark eating chocolate, roughly chopped
- 100 g butter, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 200 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 50 g unsalted butter, chopped
- Grease and line a 26 x 16cm (base measurement) slice pan with baking paper, extending paper at long sides for handles. Combine biscuit, almonds and apricots in a large bowl.
- Place chocolate and butter in a medium heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (don't let base of bowl touch the water). Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until melted and combined. Remove bowl from heat; cool slightly. Stir in egg. Stir chocolate mixture into biscuit mixture. Press mixture evenly into prepared pan. Cover with plastic food wrap: chill for 30 minutes.
- To make icing: melt chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Spread over chilled slice. Chill 1 hour or until set. Lift slab from pan; cut into squares.