Italian-style sausage rolls
Italian-style sausage rolls, beef recipe, brought to you by Australian Women's Weekly
- 500 g italian-style sausages
- 250 g beef mince
- 1 (150g) brown onion, grated
- 1 (120g) carrot, grated
- 1 cup (60g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup (100g) semi-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
- garden salad, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan forced. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Remove sausage meat from casings and discard casings. Place sausage meat, mince, onion, carrot, breadcrumbs, tomato and oregano in a large bowl. Using your hands, work the mixture very well until all combined. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Work with the pastry still a bit firm from the freezer, as it is easier to handle when partly frozen. Cut the pastry sheets in half lengthways. Divide sausage mixture into 6 portions and lay in a line along the length of each pastry half-sheet. Roll pastry over to enclose filling. Cut each roll in half. Place rolls, seam-side down, on prepared tray.
- Brush each roll with combined egg and water. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.
- Serve sausage rolls with a garden salad, if desired.