A zesty lemon centre and an almond meal crust are the highlights of this classic tart that uses the freshest ingredients to create an explosion of flavours.
- 1 1/4 cups (185g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (55g) icing sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) ground almonds
- 125 g cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp iced water
- 3 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 2/3 cup (160ml) pouring cream
- Blend or process the flour, icing sugar, ground almonds and butter until crumbly. Add the egg yolk and the water; process until combined. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line a shallow (2cm-deep) 24cm-round loose-based flan tin. Lift pastry into tin; press into side, trim edge. Cover; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- Place flan tin on an oven tray. Line pastry case with baking paper, fill with dried beans or rice. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Remove paper and beans; bake for about 10 minutes or until browned lightly.
- Meanwhile, to make lemon filling, whisk ingredients in a medium bowl; stand for 5 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Pour lemon filling into pastry case; bake for about 30 minutes or until filling has set slightly, cool. Refrigerate until cold.
- Just before serving, dust tart with sifted icing sugar and serve with whipped cream.