These beautiful kirsch spiced plum jellies are wonderfully fruity and are great enjoyed straight from the glass after dinner or as an afternoon treat.
- 1 kg plums, quartered, seeds removed
- 2 star anise
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- 185 g caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) kirsch (optional)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) boiling water
- 3 tsp powdered gelatine
- Place plums, star anise, sugar and 1 cup water in a large, deep saucepan on high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer 15 minutes, until plums have softened completely and released all their juice. Remove plums from pan and strain juice into a large jug.
- Stir kirsch through juice. Keep warm.
- Place boiling water in a small heatproof bowl and sprinkle gelatine over. Place bowl in a small saucepan of simmering water (make sure water comes 2cm up sides of bowl). Stir constantly 2 minutes, until gelatine dissolves and mixture is completely clear. Pour into warm juice and stir until well combined.
- Pour combined juice and gelatine mixture into 4 serving glasses or bowls. Chill 3 hours, until set.