If you're planning on dining in the great outdoors, these recipes+ scotch eggs will make an impressive addition to your picnic basket. Use butcher-quality sausages for best results.
- 7 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup packaged dried breadcrumbs
- 6 thick tomato and herb flavoured beef sausages
- vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- mixed green salad, to serve
Sweet chilli and herb mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- Place 6 eggs in a medium saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over moderate heat, stirring gently (this helps centre the yolks).
- Boil without stirring for 10 minutes; drain. Cool slightly; peel. Place flour on a plate. Whisk remaining egg in a shallow bowl, then place breadcrumbs on a plate.
- For each scotch egg, coat egg lightly in flour. Remove sausage meat from casing, then press gently into a thin oval shape. Place egg in centre of mince, then mould mince around egg to enclose.
- Dip in whisked egg. then breadcrumbs to coat. Place on a large plate. Cover with plastic food wrap; chill for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make sweet chilli and herb mayonnaise by combining all ingredients with 1 1/2 tablespoons warm water in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a medium heavy-based saucepan over moderate heat (oil is ready when a cube of bread crisps quickly without absorbing oil).
- Deep-fry eggs, in batches, for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown and cooked. Drain on paper towels. Cut eggs in half. Serve at once with mayonnaise and salad.
Keep screen on while I cookDone! Your screen will stay awake for an hour or until you leave this page.
Keep your screen alive while you cook. No more shutting down mid-recipe. Your screen will stay on for an hour with no impact on your device settings.